When it's so easy to make a mess of the bathroom, why do so in such a way as to make a mess of the earth? Keeping your bathroom in top condition is one way to stay green - the cleaner and better ventilated it is, the fewer chemicals you'll have to use to get rid of that mold and mildew once it's settled in.
But the steps you can take to keep your bathroom green stretch far beyond a regular cleaning, a good ventilating fan and a few cracked windows. If you want to reduce, reuse and recycle throughout your whole home, the bathroom is a great place to start. Consider these six tips to get you started. Do the planet a favor - you'll feel better at the end of the day.
1. Water-saving toilet. Eco-friendly toilets are becoming a popular investment for homeowners. Light on water and easy on the earth, these efficient and powerful machines are the future of bathrooms.
2. Organic cleaning supplies. You will always have to clean - from the toilet to your vanity, shower curtain and tub. But keep in mind that preventative cleaning will help you avoid having to take out the big guns like bleach and ammonia. Instead, use a steady prescription of organic and all-natural cleaning supplies.
3. Get recycled toilet paper. Though at first it sounds like a terrible idea, recycled toilet paper can help make a slight dent in the deforestation of the world. It might not seem like much, but over a lifetime that's quite a few trees you're saving.
4. Shorten your showers. If you think a toilet flush uses a lot of water, consider all that excess that makes it down the drain if you nod off for five minutes during your morning shower. Don't waste water, keep showers short and remember that age-old wisdom about brushing your teeth at the sink as well - the tap doesn't need to be on the whole time.
5. Use all-natural toiletries. Just as you've invested in organic cleaners, greening your toiletries is a great chance to contribute to the environmental movement. From all-natural toothpastes to eco-friendly makeup, you'll be doing your body, the industry and the planet some good.
6. Remember to turn out the lights. This is the easiest and most overlooked of all green opportunities, even in the bathroom. Get in the habit and never lose it!
Labels: Bathroom Vanities